Friday, August 12, 2005

Weighing In


I am so tired of the ID "debate" It doesn't matter where your kids go to school, you will have to counter some things they are taught. For instance, I went to a tiny Christian school in 1st grade where they taught us that the higher your hands were raised in worship, the happier God would be. "God doesn't want bushes, He wants trees!"
But seriously, teaching Creationism in a public school is ridiculous and trying to make it sound less religious by calling it Intelligent Design is even worse. "...it could have been Dumbledore, or aliens, we're not saying it was God." Yeah, that's good science. I grew up with "science" teachers who were bent on proving that God created the world exactly like it says in the Bible. What a complete waste of time. If your faith is that precarious maybe you should be working on that instead. I'm not hard-core Darwin by any means, personally, I really, REALLY don't care how we got here. I like to think it had something to do with God but that's just how I make sense of the world. I think I would be so freaked out all the time if I believed in this idea of spontaneous, big bangy, poof-we're-all-here. I would just be waiting for the next big bang, like I'm not jumpy enough already. I can't talk about the science behind any of it, I was never taught evolution and I don't really care to study it now.
The thing is, we're not talking about a class on how we came into being or why we're here, it's a science class and evolution is a scientific study. If you don't believe in evolution, tell your kids that...after all, you're the ones arguing that your kids values should come from the home/church and not the government. Maybe you should teach your kids to think for themselves and not believe everything they're told. But you can't do that because then they might not believe you, and we can't have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment