Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The "Conversion" of Anne Rice

First, I have to say that I am devastated that Anne Rice will discontue her vampire books. The last two were SO good. Had Kenai been a boy, we thought we would name him Tarquin after her newest vampire. Anyway, it drives me absolutely CRAZY to hear the media acting SO SHOCKED over the new subject matter! If you've read her previous books, it should come as no surprise that she would go this way. She's always had a kind of religious romanticism in her books, a struggle between good and evil and the Christian God. Memnoch the Devil is, of course, the best example of her religious streak. She returned to the Catholic church in '98 so this wasn't some sudden, "I'm a Christian now, no more vampires!" I'm kind of excited that Christian literature has a great new author, someone I actually want to read, someone who thought The Davinci Code was "a scream".
Thanks, Brad, for reminding me about this. This is not a response to your comment.

10 comments:

  1. I had no idea she 'returned' that long ago. I have absolutely no frame of reference re: Anne Rice. I just thought it funny that Jedd may be out of reading material now.

    Also, my bet is that the 'conversion story' angle was bought & paid for by her publicist. One can but hope that her take on Jesus is better than, say, Norman Mailer's. Man, that was a piss poor book. If you're in the mood for an honest to god good, though kind of weird Jesus book, I highly recommend Jim Crace's Quanrantine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks but I'll stick with her Jesus books seeing as it's her writing I really care about and not Je...oh, wait a second, I mean...well, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Crace doesn't care about Jesus either. That's what makes his book so good. One probably has to be an atheist to write a good one. Or, a fan of Rice can hope, simply a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Brad for once again showing your true colors...Obviously, because I have not read as much crap as you I must be out of reading material now that Anne Rice has put a stop on writing some of my favorite material...I wish to God we could all be as brilliant and well read as you...All praise Brad...Reader of all things!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, c'mon Jedd, don't be that way. I've seen some of the shit you've read, and know for certain you've read just as much crap as I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful for the praise though. But, please, could you fan the flames of the human sacrifice a bit more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two take your lover's spat elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As much crap as you have...I doubt that...if I recall you use to manage the Erotica section at the bookstore we worked at...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Touché, Mr. Tudor. We'll settle this the old fashioned way, though. How many C. S. Lewis books have you read -- not counting 'Till We Have Faces, which is a surprisingly good book by a shockingly overrated author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Say what you will about C.S. Lewis...but he had several books that were pretty decent besides Till We Have Faces...including 7 that are being made into movies...So go back to your erotic literature my friend...

    ReplyDelete