Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Truth is Out There

My name is Sarah and I am an X-Files addict. I have been a fan since the very first episode aired during my junior year in high school...13 years ago. Having finished the Six Feet Under series (surprisingly good finale, I thought) I have moved on to The X-Files. It's been a really long time since I've seen these early episodes and I can't get enough. They have such a formulaic spookiness that it's funny. It's also great to watch the Dana Scully character develop, even over the first few episodes.
I know I'm revealing more geek than anyone wants to see but I will not apologize! I love aliens and all things related. Those of you who know the alien encounter story involving one of my college roomates might think that's where this obsession started, but no, it was long before that! I couldn't honestly say where it all began but when I was fourteen, I looked out my bedroom window one night and the horizon was glowing green. It was similar to the glow from a tv but all across the horizon where the field behind us turned into forest. I've always wondered what that could have been...maybe that's when it started.
Now that you know that about me, maybe you can understand my fascination with this story out of India:

Mysterious red cells might be aliens
(Click title for full Popular Science article on CNN.com)
By Jebediah Reed Popular Science

Friday, June 2, 2006
(
PopSci.com) -- As bizarre as it may seem, the sample jars brimming with cloudy, reddish rainwater in Godfrey Louis's laboratory in southern India may hold, well, aliens.
In April, Louis, a solid-state physicist at Mahatma Gandhi University, published a paper in the prestigious peer-reviewed journal Astrophysics and Space Science in which he hypothesizes that the samples -- water taken from the mysterious blood-colored showers that fell sporadically across Louis's home state of Kerala in the summer of 2001 -- contain microbes from outer space.
Specifically, Louis has isolated strange, thick-walled, red-tinted cell-like structures about 10 microns in size. Stranger still, dozens of his experiments suggest that the particles may lack DNA yet still reproduce plentifully, even in water superheated to nearly 600 degrees Fahrenheit . (The known upper limit for life in water is about 250 degrees Fahrenheit .)

No comments:

Post a Comment