Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Life hits the fan

I gotta unload this shit somewhere. I've been seeing a kick-ass chiropractor for 3 weeks. I've had severe pain in my back for 2 months. When we weren't getting anywhere, she encouraged me to get an x-ray and see my regular physician for some blood work. See, I had other strange symptoms develop around the same time. My nails became very weak rather suddenly and exhaustion like I've never felt came to roost. I can sleep 8 hours at night, take a two hour nap and still be desperately struggling not to nod off at work or while driving. The x-ray showed scoliosis but that doesn't really explain anything. Feeling achy this weekend, I took my temp on a sort of whim. It's Wednesday night and I've been running a low-grade fever since Saturday (at least).
Okay, so that's kinda freakin me out. Blood was taken Tuesday so we'll see what that shows. In the meantime I feel like SHIT.

But life doesn't stop for shit, does it. You all know that.

My friend's father has terminal cancer that started as melanoma a few years ago...the injustice makes me want to scream. Maybe shake my fist at God just a bit. My own father had melanoma removed from his nose this past February. Two bloggers I feel akin to have both had spots removed. My boss just had spots removed.
Another friend has tumors on his thyroid. Yeah, I said HIS, only 20% of thyroid tumors occur in men. They will remove one, check it right quick and then, if it's malignant, take the other one off. Either way, he'll be on medication for the rest of his life. His wife is due with their 3rd baby in October.
A good friend was arrested yesterday. She is a great mom, actively serving in our church and a dedicated nurse. After working 3rd shift Saturday and Sunday nights, she came here and watched my kids, as she does every Monday, then went straight back to work from here at 3. She was supposed to work until 11 and normally would not agree to a double shift but her patient was not doing well and her replacement called off. She felt she couldn't abandon her patient and so agreed to stay until 6am. Coming home Tuesday morning, a little tired you think? She got home, gave her girls some breakfast and while she hoped to make it 'til their naptime, she just couldn't and she fell asleep. If you are a mother and you are honest with yourself...you know this could happen to you. The girls, ages 2 and just under 4, left the house. Explaining to their parents later that they were "going to school". The older one even had her little backpack on. They walked to the elementary school around the corner and were found there by teachers. This mother, my friend, woke to find her children GONE. I'll give you a moment to imagine that happening to you. She called the police. They came straight over and slapped handcuffs on her. They told her they'd never seen anything so terrible (really? what could possibly be more terrible than two healthy girls sneaking off to play while mom takes a nap?! I wonder) It gets worse. The kids pictures were on every news channel followed by footage of their mom on the "perp walk". The cops called the media who "shockingly" sunk their teeth in before anyone even knew what had happened. She was taken downtown to sit in a holding cell for 12 hours. Her husband picked up the kids and finally posted bail and she was released around midnight. Now she is not allowed to be alone with her children and could lose her nurses license. Speaking to local social workers I've learned that these things happen ALL THE TIME. CPS doesn't even open a file on the family unless there is a separate, glaring issue; like if they get the kids home and mom's high or something. If those teachers had called 241-KIDS instead of the cops, none of this would have happened. And yes, of course she will still be my regular sitter. Just as soon as the cops clear her to be alone with children.
This afternoon my father fell off a ladder. The ball of his femur jammed into the socket, fracturing the pelvic bone. Good news is, no surgery. Bad news? He does manual labor for a living. Oh, and also, he thinks he's perfectly capable of driving and that he won't need anymore vicodin after today. The doctors admitted him overnight (bc he's obviously mental) to monitor him and be certain he can walk properly with the crutches because if not, he could do serious damage.

You know what though? It's all okay really. My dad is not terminally ill. I haven't been arrested since 2000 ;). Mikey probably doesn't have cancer but if he does, it is (I quote) "the best kind to get." We're doin' just fine, there's a lot going on in the lives of the people we care about. There's a lot I feel grateful for:
Jedd and I are heading to San Diego in a few short weeks...I'm saving Harry Potter to read the first three days while Jt is in meetings and I'm in THE QUIET HOTEL ROOM. ALONE. It's like a dream.
My kids are healthy. (Prayers going up for new bebe, Conrad Patrick)
And there's funny videos all over the internets.




There's a few thousand parodies of the original SNL parody of what may be the best worst soundtrack EVER.

This is one of about four favorites...I'm partial to this one because it was such a memorable episode of LOST. If you have time to kill and can't understand why you find yourself laughing hysterically at these videos that are really not that funny (uh, the song is now my ringtone). Look up "dear sister parody" on youtube and find your own favorite. Check out the LOTR one and the rice krispies one first!

4 comments:

  1. I saw the headline about the kids roaming around, but didn't read the article.

    This is really bad to say, but the media got a lot of "play" out of the Marcus Fiesel (sp.?) story a few months ago -- and still are, presumably. Bad parents really piss people off, and in turn create great ratings. The more outraged you are at a story, if not at an issue (because that actually requires somebody to do something about it), the better it is for the media. An added bonus for the police is that it makes them look good when they put 'cuffs on a bad parent. Whether the parent is actually and always bad is, of course, a different story ... one that is just not interesting enough to report or for the powers-that-be to follow up on very quickly.

    I don't know your friend. But, that really sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be willing to bet you at least know who she is. She is a former CBCer as well. You'd know her by her maiden name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, this is is what Jedd said, too. Even told me her name. I remember the name, but not the person.

    ReplyDelete