Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Juvenile Pole Beans

They grow up so fast, don't they?
We've planted these pole beans, some carrots, cherry tomatoes and some heirlooms, zuccini and two random herbs--lime basil and chervil. I wanted cilantro because I like to make salsa, I got the lime basil to make the purchase an even dollar. Got home and she had given me chervil instead of cilantro.
It's a tiny corner of the yard that I hope to expand over time. Eventually I'd like a raised bed (the strawberries are in a pot on the table to avoid the bunnies). Our soil is pretty terrible and I'm not sure how the carrots will fare, likely crooked at best. I'm reading about Square Foot Gardening but I'm not completely sold on the idea.
I made a good effort toward composting but it's not together yet and now it's REALLY HOT, so we'll see.
Next up, I'm checking out Redsun Farm in Loveland. I LOVE that I could know where my meat is really coming from and how it was raised. Found redsun on the Cincinnati Locavore blog. I also want to do the chicken thing but only because I think it would be great fun! Thanks to the lovely E at Star Spangled Haggis for that article. E has also inspired Jedd and I to register as bone marrow donors. You should register as well, you know you should.

3 comments:

  1. The emphasis on "NO HARD WORK" on that Square Foot Gardening site is a little disconcerting.

    Very happy to see that about the Red Sun Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's what bothers me, it's not hard to grow veggies anyway once the setup is done. It reminds me of those flower seed mats you can order in the Sunday circulars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm I really wanted to order some of those flower mats lol. Infomercials - they get me every time. I liked the square foot gardening. I mean that's what our great-great-grandmothers thought of the washing machine as they clung to their washboards and basins?

    Gardening of the future right? Or I'm incredibly lazy. I’m okay with either opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete