Sunday, November 09, 2008

Yes We Can Will!

The election is over but the movement is not. Campaigning for Barack Obama turned into something bigger and now it's time to figure out what we are going to do with all that momentum. Sometime late in the campaign we realized that this was more than just an election. This was bigger than Barack Obama. This was people coming together to effect change. Not just a change in the White House or a change of parties. It became a movement for change initiated by the people. And then it happened. We did it. After feeling like our government had been taken from us, we took it back. After years of being told what was good for us, we said, loud and clear, that we will make that decision ourselves.

With this success comes the commission of our awesome responsibility as Americans. We can't let this movement stall or we risk stagnation. Keep going, keep advocating, keep working in your communities. For me, this is as frightening as it is exciting. "An Open Apology to Boomers Everywhere" helped me understand some of my feelings. My parents were very active in politics when I was a child. I assumed my aversion to "getting involved" was simply the remnants of adolescent rebellion but what better rebellion than to be working for the opposition? So, what are you gonna do? I'm starting here:

Join the Impact is a national protest against California's proposition 8. This will take place at city halls all over the country on November 15th. Hey, if they're doing it here, they're probably doing it in your city as well!
I'm not sure how much of an impact this makes but I will not let my money fund hate. So check the list and think about what you buy. (I was surprised to see Bolthouse Farms...time to switch carrot brands!)

4 comments:

  1. The protests out here have been something to behold, esp. Friday's protest in SF on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Maybe I was drunk when I wrote that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have assumed you were tired, or maybe even just THAT moved by what you were saying...I prefer to think you were drunk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Normally my intoxication is blended with exhaustion, so, there's no reason to rule out one or the other. I was not particularly moved by the protests -- more impressed, I suppose.

    I was, however, surprisingly moved by Keith Olbermann's special comment on Prop. 8. If you've not seen it already, though I suspect you have, I highly recommend you do.

    ReplyDelete