Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Afternoon Activity

Earlier this week I stopped at Subway with the girls. Their low-fat subs are okay but I recommend adding some vinegar and a little of your own low-cal mayo at home. But I digress. When we got out to the parking lot the girls saw a smear of blue on the ground. I know this because nobody would get (the hell) in the van so I was forced to investigate. I told them I thought it looked like a crayon had melted. They were so interested in this "melting crayon" business that I went on to tell them that you could make! things! with melted crayons. So in the next hour or so I heard "when are we melting crayons" no less than thirty times. So this is how we did it. From my own memory and with a little help from google.

Getting the crayons peeled and shaved is the first step. You might remember using a pencil sharpener to do this when you were little. Maybe you did and maybe pencil sharpeners are different now. Whatever the case, trust me, you'll want to use a cheese grater, the side with the small holes. Your kids will ooh and aah and think it's really neat when you lift the grater and the shavings are in the shape of a rectangle.














The next step is to sprinkle the shavings onto a piece of wax paper.















This is a good time to corral the baby, perhaps with puffs. Babies like crayon shavings and crayon shavings like the floor.




























When they are finished (or you decide they are finished because they start fighting or getting more shavings on the floor than the paper) it's time to melt! Lay another sheet of wax paper over the top of the design. Slide this onto a dish towel and lay another dish towel over the top.
Iron the design on the lowest or almost lowest setting. Keep it moving and check it frequently.















If one of the children carefully makes a heart design but it melts into one big glob of color, do not fret! All is not lost! Mama can fix this!
If you cut them into designs I'd recommend then laminating them with book tape. Some pieces will break off and fall out. After the kids see how beautiful their pictures look, wow them even more by holding it up to a window.





















If you melt it too long it will look gray and will take on the texture of the dish towel. If this happens to you I recommend surprising the artist by turning it into her initial!

5 comments:

  1. You can also melt them somehow in the oven when you get little bits and pieces. Make new big crayons again. I've seen it done before in cupcake tins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that's right, you can make little rainbow crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as if I have just been placated by you. Thanks mom. I know I'm a good kid. ;)

    ReplyDelete