Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Again With The Muffins

Ill-gotten gains on TwitpicI have been searching for a muffin recipe for a while now. All I want is something that is healthy, tastes good and isn't too hard to make. I'm either asking for too much or I just haven't found it yet. The last one I tried just didn't come out to my liking at all (even though I ADORE the blogger who posted it). Since then I've been making bran muffins using the original All Bran recipe. These are good. I use 1/2-n-1/2 whole wheat and white flour and I've been experimenting with adding ground flax seed. I also like things a teensy bit sweeter so I sprinkle a little cinnamon-sugar on top of the muffins before baking.
The bran muffins are good but I really want something with bananas in it. I have a killer banana bread recipe but it is SO not healthy and I find I am frequently in possession of browning bananas. Yesterday Kenai wanted to bake something so we tried out a recipe I found on the blog Sweet Savory Southern.

Healthy Banana Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour (I used 3/4 cup)

1/2 cup all purpose flour ( I used 3/4 cup)

1/2 cup granulated sugar (you can use a combo of brown & white if you’d like)

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans…whatever you prefer)

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

dash or two of nutmeg

1 egg

3/4 cup skim milk

1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup mashed bananas

Preheat oven to 400*

Using a whisk, combine all your dry ingredients in one bowl: whole wheat and AP flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, salt, nuts, spices).

Beat the egg lightly in a separate bowl. Whisk in milk, applesauce, vanilla to the eggs.

Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Fold bananas in.

Divide the batter among a greased or paper-lined muffin tin.

Bake for about 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

I used 1/2-n-1/2 whole wheat and white flour since I keep it mixed that way. Now that I think about it, I don't know the actual ratio due to some mishaps involving a husband who doesn't know he shouldn't just dump expensive bags of organic flour together all willy-nilly. ANYWAY. I used 2% milk and no nuts. I didn't have nutmeg so I added an extra dash of cinnamon. I also sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top. These were done (maybe slightly too done) at 16 minutes. They came out delicious and very moist. However, they have this thin outer layer that is kind of chewy. I'm not sure why that is yet, I've had this problem with other recipes.

In action on TwitpicThe baby loves the muffins (maybe a little too much). I like them aside from the slightly rubbery outside issue (it's like a skin). They were good straight from the oven but even better this morning with a little cream cheese.

6 comments:

  1. I know you didn't really ask for more recipes.. but here's one I like.

    Basic Oatmeal Muffins
    1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
    2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. soda
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/4 c. butter (sometimes I use corn oil instead)
    1 1/2 c. oats
    1 egg (sometimes I use a flax seed substitute)
    1 1/4 c. milk or buttermilk (or milk alternative)
    1/4 c. honey (or molasses if you like)
    1/2 c. dates (soaked) or apples

    Basically just mix it all together. Bake as muffins for 15 min at 400 degrees.

    This is my total go-to muffin recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/category/recipes/bread/freezermuffins

    I love her recipes. We like the muffins we have tried...I won't list all the ones we've tried, but I believe these to all be fairly healthy and tried and true! I've used 1/2 & 1/2 flour in those that I have made...if they didn't call for it already =0) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, Caress, I love baking with oatmeal. I will try both of these recipes, thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought at first you were linking to MY muffin recipe. I know I hate too rubbery or too dense muffins, but I think some recipe failures occur from not using proper technique (e.g. muffin mixing technique) or over mixing or oven temperature failure. Since I have really gotten into baking I have seen that having an oven thermometer and a baking stone really helps set and maintain proper temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, Suzanne, I felt bad after I posted that I didn't like Swistle's muffins when these came out the same way because I realized it's gotta be something I'm doing. I just don't know what! A thermometer would be a good place to start I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you use a stone muffin pan? I don't have one yet but I'm doing a pampered chef show in December...

    ReplyDelete