Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Cookies



So I'm curious, are you baking this year? What do you make and what do you do with the stuff you make? I think I'm just baking for family and the office staff at the girls' schools this year. I don't think I'll make a lot, maybe some mini pumpkin loaves and Hungarian Butter Cookies. The butter cookies are a family tradition and they are SO GOOD. I'm still looking for other recipes to try out so I am going to check out every link at The Mom Creative cookie recipe exchange for ideas.

Hungarian Butter Cookies
1# butter (that's how you know these are AWESOME)
1c sugar
6 egg yolks
4c flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder

After you mix these up you have to refrigerate them for a couple hours. Take out half the dough at a time and work quickly so it doesn't get warm. Roll them out using flour* and cut into large circles. Roll them thin, maybe 1/6 inch? They need to be thin but they are very fragile so if they are too thin they will break. On half of the circles, cut another circle out of the center.
Bake at 375° for 4-6 minutes. You don't want them brown, just done. When cool spread the circles with raspberry or apricot preserves and top with a cookie with a hole in it. On the raspberry ones we sprinkle a little powdered sugar. My mom puts chopped nuts on the apricot ones but I don't like nuts so I don't really know how she makes them stick.

*edited, these are actually rolled out in powdered sugar, not flour!

No comments:

Post a Comment