Monday, December 07, 2009

Stuff with Beans

I made two of the easiest dinners ever this past week. On Friday I found some loose andouille sausage on clearance at Jungle Jims. I browned it (about 1#) and added two cans of red beans and one can of light red kidney beans (these are what I keep on hand for chili). I added a little Chachere's Creole seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and cumin. then I added two cans of chicken broth. Let that cook down a little, I served it over brown rice. So easy and SO good.
Then last night we tried Shredded Chicken Tacos from Tasty Kitchen that I first saw at Suburban Bliss (I love her "Did They Eat It?" posts). This was so easy, my favorite way to cook, you just throw everything in the crock pot and you're done.

1 package frozen corn
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - these can be frozen (even better!)
1 jar salsa
1 envelope taco seasoning

Layer corn, then beans, then seasoning, chicken and then salsa on top. 6-8 hours on high or 3-4 hours on low, shred chicken and mix with corn and beans. Fill taco shells or tortillas.

I used taco seasoning and some Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning. I also don't like the texture of onions or cooked peppers so I pureed my salsa. We served these on tortillas with a little cheese and sour cream. My mom added chicken broth to the leftovers and made soup!

Fixed anything new lately? Extra points if it's easy!

4 comments:

  1. If you are what you eat, then I am quick and easy. :)

    The secret to making quick food is to have it on hand.

    Canned beans are super convenient, but many types have a lot of sodium and dried beans are substantially cheaper. After you get your beans rinsed sorted and soaked, you can just freeze them at that point. Then you can throw them (still frozen) into soup, stew, or whatever to continue cooking. Of course I still use canned beans, but these are almost as fast.

    When you have some "antique" veggies languishing in the crisper you can put them in a large zipper-top freezer bag and when you have the bag full pop them into a stock pot full of water and make stock. Stick can be used for sauces, soups, gravies, to flavor rice, or frozen for later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so helpful! I've been using dried beans a little more. I posted a recipe a while back where you just rinse the black beans and they cook in the crockpot with everything else. I love one-step meals! Freezing stuff makes that possible. And no more wasted veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie-peetie, you won the Haworth Handmade Etsy thing over on the review blog! Email me (swistle at gmail dot com) and I'll connect you to Melissa so you can pick your ornament/rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with your mom, some form of taco soup is a must have for us all winter. I have no recipe I just throw in some leftover taco meat (or some cooked chicken and taco seasoning) in with some black beans, corn, chicken broth. Heat and serve up with a dollop of sour cream, maybe some nacho chips if I have 'em. We have this at least every couple of weeks in the winter. It's a hit with the husband and kids.

    ReplyDelete