Thursday, January 14, 2010

Homenum Revelio!

I had a bit of vodka an anxiety attack yesterday after the baby's allergy testing. I already knew she was allergic to eggs so why the freak-out? Well, there was this, and there was three hours in the exam room, a shot in each thigh, and the doctor telling me she was at risk for anaphylaxis but not really at risk of dying from it so no need for an epi-pen. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that last part. She's also doing the whole freak-out-over-nothing-80-thousand-times-a-day-until-Mommy-thinks-you-hate-her thing. That didn't help.

I've also not been sleeping well. I wake up a few times each night absolutely terrified. While I'm still asleep I pound on Jedd or give him a good hard kick so that he gets up to check the house before I've caught my breath enough to tell him it's just...not a dream, really...I guess it's just my crazy. My heart pounds so hard I'm afraid it will explode. The adrenaline coursing through my body makes certain I won't fall back to sleep for a good long while. This really can't be healthy.

Saturday night Kenai was not given a snack at church because the teacher wasn't sure about her allergies. When I came to pick her up she was sitting at the table with her friends, terribly sad, the only one without a little cup of pretzels.

This morning before we went into the school Kenai said, "Mommy? When my teacher says, 'criss-cross applesauce'? I can't do that" Cue heartbreak.

The first hit in this TKO was last week in a parent meeting for her preschool class. The parents gather with the teacher, all of us in tiny chairs, to talk about the upcoming semester. One parent, we'll call her Ignorant, starts pitching a mini fit about following rules. She says that if the rule is that children sit, legs crossed, on their carpet squares then that is what they should do. The teacher explains that some kids aren't able to sit "criss cross applesauce" and different kids have different abilities and we really just want them engaged during circle time. Enter anxiety attack #1 of 2010. She meant Kenai. My baby can't sit cross legged like the other children. Heart pounding now, I hear Ignorant say "No! If it's a rule then they should just do it! We are the authoritarians!" Oh crap. Other parents are speaking up, "we don't want to turn it into a power struggle" "some kids can't really sit still for very long" I have to go, Kenai has to be at therapy in a half hour. I can't get into this. What the hell is her issue?! We just got done talking to the grandmother of another student about her options for diagnosis and IEP through the district. Ignorant just refuses to believe that some four year olds don't have the same abilities as her daughter. Thankfully, the teacher is kinda awesome and she sent home a letter yesterday letting parents know that we meet each child where he is and any discipline issues will be handled by her in a manner designed to show grace. Today, Ignorant was in charge of snacks. She brought popcorn with nuts in it. Kenai and her friend are both allergic to nuts and Ignorant KNOWS THIS. How about we just change her name to Bitch now, hmm?

So I've felt mostly sad all week. Which is why I haven't finished writing my story for you. I know you are DYING to find out what happens next but I don't have it in me to dredge up the old hurts while the new ones are still fresh. But it's coming. I also need to write this thing for Yummy Mommy who tagged me and put a little bit of awesome into this terrible day.

In the meantime, it's Official Delurker Day! It's a thing that someone invented. I guess it's a blog-thing that a blogger invented. Then Greeblemonkey made a creepy neat little graphic and now it's the thing to do on January 14th, 2010. So show me your stuff, are you here? Speak up!

11 comments:

  1. Ok, I am delurking... and totally waiting to hear about your stint in prison!

    Those allergy test look heinous... poor baby. We have no allergies here, just another reason I need to be thankful.

    I have found since my daughter started school, it is the place I need to be the most diplomatic. There are some real ignorant people out there and I find it so hard to hold my tongue, but I feel I need to as not to embarrass my poor daughter. (But there are sure times I'd love to call out a moron or two.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think just letting the teacher deal with it is gonna work here. But I'm seriously done with that mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd knock the bitch upside the head...but thats just me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of what you describe brings me back about 13 years when my son went through extensive allergy testing. Your poor baby! I don't know if the testing is more accurate now than when we went through it, but we had some false positives. The doctor thought a few were anaphylatic and asked us to carry an epipen. Later, he changed his mind about that. At one point, we thought he was allergic to soy products which basically meant that my picky 5 year old couldn't eat any of his favorite foods. Then the doc changed his mind about that. He decided some things would be oral allergies and not anaphylatic. Ahhh! We started allergy shots, several shots at each visit, and went for a few years. The asthma was horrible and when we had to give him all of the prescribed meds, he was a hyperactive mess. It was a nightmare. AND, it was tough to know how to be a good mother. My heart goes out to you. I know it's not easy for the mom and not easy for the little one.

    Ignorant has a problem. Some of the preschools around here don't allow snacks with nuts at all when one of the children has a nut allergy. Where's her compassion. I feel sorry for her child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "we are the authoritarians?" -- really, she said that? that's a little insane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I was thinking, "I don't think she realizes what she just said."
    Before this I thought she was just rich and out of touch but nice. Now? Yick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *waves* I don't have much to say, but hey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there, Neu, glad to see you, thanks for stopping by... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to teach the kids to scream "We are the youth gone wild!" whenever that lady is around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still lurking around your site...so sorry for your little girl and her allergies. My kids aren't in school yet, but one of the things I dread about school is dealing with other parents. Maybe we'll just homeschool, then I'll only have myself to blame for crazy parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sold on homeschooling, I just have to convince my husband!

    ReplyDelete