Friday, January 01, 2010

Year-End Clearance

Doing this long-ass year-in-review survey from Sundry again this year. I'd enjoy this more if Blogger made cut and paste posting easier.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
I used a trainer and stuck to a committed workout schedule. It only lasted about 8 weeks but it was a big accomplishment for me.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I don't do resolutions. If I did I would say that I will eat better and start exercising again. It's not a resolution. It just sounds like one.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not super close. One cousin, one cousin's girlfriend and my sister's friend.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nope!

5. What countries did you visit?
I'm gonna go ahead and use last year's answer here, "Hahahahahahahahaha...ha"

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Confidence and, as usual, discipline.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched in your memory and why?
January 20. Watching Barack Obama, a black man with a funny name, getting sworn in as president let us feel like maybe things can change.















8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Working out.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting the ankle injury kill my fitness run.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I fell down the front steps holding Ziva. To keep her safe I had to take the fall on my right ankle. I ended up with a nasty burn/abrasion and a sprain. But the new bone growth I can feel suggests it was actually fractured or severely bruised. This was last July but it's still sore!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Well, technically Jt bought my iPhone and my KitchenAid so the best thing *I* bought is the down comforter from Ikea.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband. Honestly. For Valentine's Day he surprised me with a night at a nice hotel, BY MYSELF. All. Alone. Mother's Day was the iPhone, Christmas was the KitchenAid. He also got up almost every single night with the baby. He just decided he was going to do nights and then he did. He worked his tail off at his job even when he was unhappy and that brought us a new measure of financial security.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The TeaBaggers, Town Hall Screamers and the 9-12 um...demonstrators. Seriously.

14. Where did most of your money go?
To the usual places. House, cars, debt, medical, food. The new one this year was the Y membership. Expensive and worth it.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Watching the California Supreme Court hearings on Prop 8 was equal parts exciting and frustrating. Seeing the crowd gathered for the decision and then watching them protest it was amazing.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
All the Above - Maino ft. T-Pain
It's really, really cheesy but this was my workout song. When I'm not with a trainer, not in a spin class, just on a machine by myself I find it really helpful to harness old pain and use it to push out some anger. This drives me to work harder.
"Tell me what do you see when you're looking at me. On a mission to be what I'm destined to be. I done been through the pain and the sorrow, the struggle is nothing but love. I'm a soldier, a rider and yeah, a survivor and all the above"



17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
-happier or sadder? About the same
-thinner of fatter? Fatter
-richer or poorer? Richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Active recreation with the girls. More time at the pool, more time hiking.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Spending money on pointless things like fast food.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Morning here with the kids, then all of us in Dayton for the day, finished by seeing Sherlock Holmes, just me and Jt.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
If I did, it was with my iPhone so we're just gonna skim right over this question, yes?

22. What was your favorite tv program?
We discovered Battlestar Galactica and I like it but I picked back up with The Wire and SEASON FOUR O.M.G.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not really, I don't like to use the word hate when I'm talking about people. I'm pretty sure that I dislike Glenn Beck even more than I did last year.

24. What was the best book you read?
I haven't finished In Defense of Food but I really like it so far. I LOVE the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs (starts with Moon Called). Her Alpha and Omega series is good as well.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hands down K'naan. No question. My new friend at Kick Me posted about him and it was the first I'd heard of him.
This is my favorite song but I'm partial to hearing Swahili and I also have a little bitty crush on Mos Def. If you aren't sure after this song, look up Wavin' Flag.



26. What did you want and get?
My couch

27. What did you want and not get?
A kid-free weekend. I'm not really ready to leave Ziva for that long though.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I really liked Star Trek. Precious was exactly what you'd expect and it was amazing. Totally lost my shit seeing The Hangover in the theater but it wasn't quite the same on DVD.

29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I turned 32 and once again, my sister really came through. We got pedicures and manicures while we had wine and Godiva chocolate then she took me out to Brio's for dinner.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If we had made more of a dent in out debt and if I had really stuck to the better eating.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Still rockin' the sweatpants. My fashion concept is that there are two set fat girl styles, I don't like either of them and they don't make anything else.

32. What kept you sane?
The internet and my friends who live there.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
There's that word again. I did not used to like David Boreanaz but I had a dream that changed everything.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Is there anyone who won't say healthcare here?

35. Who did you miss?
I need to see my sisters more often and I really miss my nephew. I did spend some time missing my sisters-in-law as well but that's been remedied for now.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Susan Campbell at the blog Dating Jesus (also the title of her book) and all the regular commenters there.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Without discipline you are just treading water.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Etcetera, whatever, I guess all I really mean is we're gonna be alright. Yeah, we're gonna be alright. You can close your eyes tonight. 'Cause we're gonna be alright."
Etcetera, Whatever - Over the Rhine
This year afforded us some time to learn how to relax instead of always waiting for the next terrible thing.


On a side note, according to some Facebook app I use the word "really" second most often of all the words. But really, you probably already knew that.

2 comments:

  1. #12 spoilt! (that's some serious sweetness!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of Glenn Beck, you ought to try Andrew Wilkow...that is, if you have rational thought.

    ReplyDelete